Peter Larson, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. from Rutgers University (2004)
Medieval & Early Modern England; social and economic history; legal history.
Recent Research Activities
Peter Larson's research focuses on the social and legal history of premodern England at the local level. His book Conflict and Compromise in the Late Medieval Countryside: Lords and Peasants in Durham, 1348 to 1400 is a study of the reactions of lords and peasants in County Durham as they struggled to put their lives and society back together in the half-century following the Black Death. His current project is a case study of how the economic and agrarian transformations from the late medieval to the early modern period affected individuals and communities in northern England. His other interests include medieval and English law, premodern European sport, and ideas of freedom and subjection from the classical period to the present.
- Conflict and Compromise in the Late Medieval Countryside: Lords and Peasants in Durham, 1348 to 1400 (Routledge, 2006).
- "Village Voice or Village Oligarchy The Jurors of the Durham Halmote Court, 1349-1424," in The Law and History Review 28:3 (2010): 675-709.
- "Peasant Opportunities in Rural Durham: Land, Vills and Mills, 1349-1500," in Commercial Activity, Markets and Entrepreneurs in the Middle Ages: Essays in Honour of Richard Britnell, ed. by Ben Dodds and Christian D. Liddy (Boydell, 2011), pp. 141-164.
- "Rural transformation in northern England: village communities of Durham, 1340-1440," in Agriculture and Rural Society after the Black Death: Common Themes and Regional Variations, ed. by Richard H. Britnell and Benjamin Dodds (University of Hertfordshire, 2008), pp. 99-114.
- "Local Law Courts in Late Medieval Durham," in Richard H. Britnell and Christian D. Liddy, eds., North-East England in the Later Middle Ages (Boydell & Brewer, 2005).
- 2013 CAH Award for Excellence in Graduate Education.
- 2009 UCF Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Education.
- 2009 CAH Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Education.
No courses found for Spring 2019.
||Date and Time
||Hon Religion in Medieval World
||Face to Face Instruction (P)
||Tu,Th 04:30 PM - 05:45 PM
|No Description Available
No courses found for Summer 2018.
Updated: Dec 6, 2018