The department offers many opportunities for both undergraduates and graduates to gain hands-on experience putting history skills to work in the community. Public History internships provide you with the chance to gain real-world, professional experience on the job while earning course credit.
To be eligible for an undergraduate internship, you must have:
- Completed 12 credit hours of history courses
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or more
- Completed HIS 4150: History and Historians Course (preferred)
To be eligible for an graduate internship, you must:
- Be enrolled in the UCF Masters program in History
- Have at least six (6) credits of graduate coursework completed or in progress
- Completed HIS 5067: Introduction to Public History course (preferred)
Internship Application Process
Below is our internship application process. In order to pursue an internship, you must follow and complete all the steps listed.
1) View the available internship opportunities. Keep in mind two or three opportunities that interest you.
2) Complete the undergraduate internship application or the graduate internship application. On this application you will list the internship opportunities that interest you. In addition, undergraduates must obtain on the form two signatures of History Department Faculty as references. Graduates must seek one signature. In order for the application to be complete, you must have your references sign the form.
3) Contact Kayla Campana (Kayla.Campana@ucf.edu) to schedule an appointment with Dr. Scot French to discuss your application and internship possibilities.
4) Once you have a scheduled appointment, you will meet with Dr. French. Please bring with you the completed application and a resume/curriculum vitae.
5) Upon completing your meeting with Dr. French and have been given approval to pursue an internship opportunity, you may proceed to call the internship on-site supervisor to schedule an interview.
6) Go to your scheduled interview, discuss what the internship will involve, including work schedule and project.
7) After the on-site supervisor makes you an offer and you accept, please contact Kayla Campana to complete the registration process (Kayla.Campana@ucf.edu).
If you have any questions regarding the steps to take to pursue an internship, please e-mail Kayla Campana (Kayla.Campana@ucf.edu).